RECAP: RSL takes first-ever road point from Dallas

Scrappy 0-0 draw stopped nearly two hours for storm delay

FRISCO, Texas- In the battle between two of the top teams in the
Western Conference, Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas played to a scoreless
rain-delayed draw at Pizza Hut Park Sunday evening.

Referee David Gantar postponed the game in the 83rd minute,
the exact same time FCD’s match against the LA Galaxy was postponed
three weeks ago. The delay lasted an hour and 52 minutes before
restarting play.

But unlike the previous rain delay, FC Dallas (5-3-3) couldn’t get a
late goal to earn the win, and Real Salt Lake (5-1-2) settled for their
second scoreless draw in as many weeks.

Real Salt Lake came into the match having never gotten a point at Pizza
Hut Park in eight attempts, while FC Dallas entered the Western
Conference showdown unbeaten in their last five matches.

The match lacked offensive creativity at times for both teams while
missing their marquee player. Real Salt Lake was playing their third
game without Argentine Javier Morales and were held off the scoreboard
for the second game without their attacking midfielder pulling the

FCD, although unbeaten since losing David Ferreira to an ankle injury,
struggled in the offensive final third miscommunicating on several
passes and through balls.

With the scoreless draw, FC Dallas’ shutout streak reached 399 minutes,
the second longest of the season behind the Columbus Crew who held
opponents scoreless for 414 minutes earlier this season.

However, Real Salt Lake, sporting their victory gold uniforms for the
first time since the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League final
against Mexican side Monterrey last month, thought they got on the
scoreboard first in the 21st minute.

Canadian midfielder Will Johnson played a cross into the FCD box, where
a waiting Álvaro Saborío headed it past Kevin Hartman, but the sideline
referee quickly raised his flag signaling offside.

FC Dallas countered with their best opportunity of the game just four minutes later.

After Honduran forward Marvin Chavez strung together a series of step
over moves against RSL defender Chris Wingert, the 27-year-old attacker
sent a cross in that was left at the top of the 18-yard box. George John
poked the ball forward towards goal and forced RSL goalkeeper Nick
Rimando to make a diving fingertip save.

The two teams last played in the Western Conference semifinals in 2010
with FC Dallas advancing 3-2 on goals scored and tensions were high
throughout the evening.

RSL defender Jamison Olave had choice words for Colombian compatriot
Fabian Castillo in the first half, and after a corner kick midway
through the second half, Olave and several players including Daniel
Hernandez went head to head in disagreement.

FC Dallas have little time to sit on Sunday’s draw before they fly to
Seattle Monday morning for a date on Wednesday against the Sounders at
Qwest Field.

Real Salt Lake will play Seattle on Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium.


WATCH: Full Match Highlights